Friday, December 30, 2011

Reaver by Baelor Miniatures

I'm happy to say that I've been hired to paint some models for Baelor miniatures (http://www.baelor.com/). I exchanged a few E-mails with Clint and he sent me two models he sculpted. A Vulkan and a Reaver. Both are nice models. I've already started painting the Reaver and I have to appreciate the attention to detail. Clint has a unique style. I'd compare some of his pieces to John Blanche artwork. 


The picture above is of the Reaver. Here's a little step by step of how I created the base.

It starts with a foundation of filler material. Cork is very useful for this. 


Next I started building a small catwalk to attach to the top.

Just some plasticard and weaving material.




Once the catwalk was attached it was ready for some dried soil.
And of course the centerpiece. The model itself.  

The idea with the base was to add to the prowling nature of the model. It couldn't be too elevated for practical purposes but the negative space below gives it sense of height. 


Now I had it assembled and with Brother John keeping me company I began to paint. This is just the foundation layer composed of wet blending and quick highlights. I'll go over it 2 more times before it's done, every time using the transparencies of the paint to build upon the previous layer.









2 comments: